TNC Scientific Advisory Council
Our council of nutrition and health experts represents a diversity of opinions on nutritional issues yet shares a common goal of shaping nutrition policy in order to help Americans be healthier. Since launching, The Nutrition Coalition has worked as a broad-based, informal consortium that includes some of the world’s leading nutrition and chronic disease experts.
- Cheryl Achterberg, PhD, Dean, The Ohio State University, College of Education and Human Ecology, inaugural dean of the College of Human Sciences, appointed to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (2010)
- Mark Cucuzzella, MD, Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Director, Pre-Doctoral Family Medicine Education and Faculty Rural Family Medicine Residency Program of West Virginia University; Lt. Col., US Air Force Reserves
- Carrie Diulus, MD Orthopedic Spine Surgeon at Crystal Clinic Spine Wellness Center in Akron, Ohio. Prior to joining the Crystal Clinic in 2014, Dr. Diulus was a spine surgeon in the Center for Spine Health at the Cleveland Clinic. She is the CEO and founder of Speira Health (formerly C. Diulus, LLC) as well as a Senior Clinical Associate for Tres Rios Group and Amati Health. She served as Medical Director within the Information Technology Division at the Cleveland Clinic from 2011-2014.
- Sarah Hallberg, DO, MS, Medical Director and Founder, Indiana University-Arnett Health Medical Weight Loss Program, Diplomate, American Board of Obesity Medicine and American Board of Clinical Lipidology, ACSM Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist, Adjunct Professor Indiana University School of Medicine
- Richard Jacoby, DPM, Co-founder, Scottsdale Healthcare Wound Management Center. Jacoby is a leading peripheral nerve surgeon, specializing in progressive damage to the nerves that often results from diabetes; Past president, the Association of the Extremity Nerve Surgeons, Author, Sugar Crush
- Dr. Jake Kushner, MD, Chief of Service, Texas Children’s Diabetes and Endocrinology Center, and Chief of the Section of Pediatric Diabetes and Endocrinology at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Kushner is a a nationally renowned expert in type 1 diabetes research. He previously served at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) as an assistant professor in the division of endocrinology and diabetes.
- Steve Nissen, M.D., is a cardiologist, researcher and patient advocate. He is chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Ronesh Sinha, M.D., Sutter Health, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, and author of The South Asian Health Solution: A Culturally Tailored Guide to Lose Fat, Increase Energy, and Avoid Disease.
- Jeff Volek, PhD RD Professor, Department of Human Sciences, The Ohio State University. A world-renowned expert in low carbohydrate research, Dr. Volek focuses on the clinical application of ketogenic diets, especially the management of insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes, as well as athletic performance and recovery. He has been invited to lecture on his research hundreds of times at scientific and industry conferences in a dozen countries. His scholarly work includes 300+ peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts and five books, including a New York Times Best Seller.